Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Throwing A Throw (blanket)

Have you ever wondered how the designers throw a blanket and make it look amazing? You try and try and it looks like someone sat on it or pulled it from the trash 😂 🙋‍♀️ 
For years I have studied off and on the art of styling a throw. Lately I have realized that its actually quite simple. 
1. What is it's purpose? For guests? To cushion your seat? For display only? 
2. What is the style of your throw? 
Is it textured differently in the middle, edges, etc all over the throw or is the texture consistent throughout the blanket? 
These are the questions you must conclude first. 
Now, I am no expert, however, I am showing how this has helped me to not be so fussy with it. 

In the picture above, this particular throw is different throughout.  It has ribbed edging, different knitted textures on the sides and middle. I threw it casually then moved around sides of it I wanted to show off. This is a very casual look made for display or to grab and cozy up with. 
This throw is a consistent pattern all over. These are great folded, tucked or thrown. In this photo above, I pinched the middle making a point and threw it into the corner. Add a throw pillow on top and now it's ready for the guest you know will need one when visiting. 😂
This photo above is a great way to use your sherpa throws. Sherpa is like a faux super soft wool. Its texture is consistent all over. When you have a leather chair and you don't want your legs to stick or freeze, you can use these as make shift slip covers. Or maybe you just don't like the look of your chair. Voila. Instant camouflage.  
Another way I love to use throws is for extra cushion on hard seats. No seat cushions? Use a folded throw. They also look cute propped up on a stool to grab and cozy up to. 
For fringed throws or throws with tassles, you want to show off that part of the blanket. When you walk into the room, look and see if you see the fringe or tassles right away. In this photo, I have it laying on the back of my bench since that's the first thing you see when walking into my dining room. 
Bedroom throws are GREAT for layering. A bed looks fluffier and cozy when using layers. This is a great way to achieve that look. 
Finally, I want to show you a special blanket my mother crocheted for me years ago. It has a unique edge to it. In the photo below, is an antique chair that my husband and my babies were rocked in. I wanted my mothers throw on this chair. I pleated the throw to show off not only the edging but the gorgeous texture of it throughout.  
I hope you have been inspired to throw a throw now! Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it. Just realize what its use will be and you got it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment